Travel has become a very important aspect of life today. Most people want to go on holidays to unwind and recharge after working long hours, on a daily basis, for months. While others travel because of a work trip. Regardless of why you want to travel, there are risks involved when you take a journey from one place to the other. Hence, certain essential intricacies must be worked out, in order for your travel experience to be a wonderful memory that will remember for a long time. Travel risks can occur for an individual, corporate, and governments.
Why have Travel Risk Management?
Everybody wants a travel experience that is free from risks, regardless of the reason for travel. This is why travel insurance is available, and the purpose behind travel risk management is essential today. There are a number of services that are available, when you have a travel risk management policy in place.
- Emergency medical evacuation is the appropriate and efficient movement care that is provided by medics when one has suffered injuries. The patient is transported safely and rapidly and is attended to en-route to receiving medical attention at a medical facility.
- Security extraction services are concerned with the extraction of people from areas that are considered unsafe because of ongoing civil strife, war, or unrest. They are also involved in situations where one has traveled and has been kidnaped and there is need for negotiations and the secure release of the traveler.
- When accidents occur or a traveler gets sick and requires medical care.
- Travel risk management also involves helping travelers when they need their passports replaced or need legal assistance in a foreign land.
- When travelers have an accident that can lead to death or a severe injury, they will require assistance and travel insurance can cater to that.
- Travel cover also cater to a situation where a traveler’s remains are repatriated.
- Other risks that are covered in travel insurance include, cancelation of flights, curtailment for when departures are delayed, for when travelers suffer loss, theft or damage to their personal possessions or lose money and/or travel documents.
- When their baggage is delayed and they require the replacement of vital items.
Anytime you travel, it’s essential that you consider that the unexpected can occur. This is why travel insurance is of great importance. For this reason you need to allow professionals to manage your travel risks.
Important Risk Assessment factors
There are specific potential threats, as well as, challenges that might originally seem to be superficial in nature. All those must be put into perspective when a risk assessment is undertaken, before any form of travel takes place. The process of evaluation is an indispensable part of pre-travel. This process plays a major part in the decisions that are taken when the traveler is advised about the risks they need to get insured against, as well as, the interventions they can expect. During an assessment, the perils that the traveler can be exposed to are determined. The risks connected to those factors are evaluated and a decision is made on how the risks can be managed. Travel risk management is the act of recognizing and distinguishing material hazards to health that may need management. This is done while considering, firstly the seriousness of what might happen, and secondly, the possibility that they might actually occur.
The Need for Pre-Travel Evaluations
When people travel abroad, it is essential that an evaluation of their risks is undertaken before they are provided with insurance. Knowledge about the traveler is integral towards the process. It’s also essential to know where they will be traveling to, the health risks and disease that they are likely to encounter, as well as, the measures that can be taken to prevent such an accident. Three areas are of importance when making this assessment. These include an individual, the traveler’s plan, where they are headed to, and factors that are connected to the activities they will engage in. When the travel is work related, an assessment of the occupational hazards involved must also be undertaken.
When Should Risk Assessments Be Undertaken?
Risk assessments must be done way before the date of travel, mostly between four to six months. When people travel for a longer period of time, it is advisable to do the assessment much earlier. This is also the case for people that have a travel plan that is complicated or have a medical history that involves lots of difficulties. Prior planning for risk assessment provides an opportunity for vaccinations to be done and also allows time to evaluate a traveler to see if they have any negative reactions. This also gives the traveler a chance to launch a sufficient immune response to ailments that can be removed through vaccinations. Nonetheless, it is still possible, for people that choose to travel in the eleventh hour, to take advantage of pre-travel evaluations. The importance of travel risk management for businesses must never be ignored. Companies with employees who travel, must ensure that they have a policy in place to protect their workers.
Legal Implications of Ignoring Travel Risk
Safety is paramount and this is why there is a need for a dependable risk management plan. A care policy is necessary for individuals, as well as, corporates. For companies, it is important to be aware of the legal implications involved in travel risk. When employees travel, a business or a company is charged with legal responsibility for their health and safety. It is of utmost importance that the health and safety of their employees is taken care off. It’s also worthy to note, that there are legal ramifications when this responsibility is not taken seriously. There are also financial implications such as fines and the possibility of compensation through lawsuits. A company that ignores the health and safety of their traveling employees might suffer from issues relating to their reputation as well. With a well planned and executed travel risk management plan, all these can be avoided.